Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Mac Book Pro - One Year Later

Well, as you may have noticed, the daily, then weekly updates obviously fell by the weigh side regarding my experiences with the MacBook Pro.   I wish I had been more dutifully provided updates -- but I'm here to share the good news.  After approximately 400 days of daily lid opening, web connecting, key smashing, bit pushing use of the MBP -- it has without question become the primary tool in the tool box!

That's not say that my windows computer is no longer in play.  It is!  But only at work.  Otherwise, when I travel -- it's the MBP.   When I have to work at home -- it's the MBP.   The battery life, the quality of craftsmanship, and the apps have been great, the compatibility with our Microsoft Server network and the ability to leverage and use the files I use on Windows has been terrific.  

I did make one compromise though since I started this effort.  During the summer last year I needed Microsoft Office for an urgent task when I was on vacation.  Because I didn't have my windows box - and I wasn't sure Keynote was going to do the trick.  I stopped off at a Best Buy, bought a copy of Office 2009 for the Mac, and on it went.   I wasn't a big fan -- but it was a necessary tool -- and in all honesty I was fairly pleased with it except for the Entourage email app -- which I refused to use.      Then after the Office 2011 came out -- I eventually broke down and bought the update - which came with Outlook instead of Entourage.   The update was terrific,  and I would tell you in a heart beat that Office for the Mac is much better than Office for Windows.    I also updated iLife to 2011 -- and have really pleased with those apps, which includes Garage Band, iPhoto, iMovie and more.

I still have much more plans for the MBP.   This includes creating some apps for the IPad using xCode.   But again - I am very happy with this device - and I would recommend it for anyone.   In fact -- my wife and son both have them -- and have been using them for at least six months, and it's been great not having to be asked to fix their computers now!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment