Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Thought Papers for Fall SIW - Invitation to Participate

My approach for Fall Simulation Interoperability Workshop (SIW) topics is different and unique from what I’ve done in the past -- this year I'm inviting my SISO colleagues in on it. Here are the goals:  

Goal #1 - Write about something that really interests me and others -- not just something that I think I know a lot about – and definitely not something that’s been over done.

Goal #2 - Make the title stand out.   No more boring topics.  Make it something people will want to hear about and something they will remember afterwards. 

Goal #3 – Develop the paper initially as a thought piece.   Write it in the form of story reflecting experience, insights and just as important vision.  Kind-a like a blog.  This minimizes the writing time.

Goal #4 - Let others help influence and shape the content.  Use the power of the web/internet to gather additional insight and feedback from others on these topics.  I realize I'm not the only one with an original thought -- so I've invited others to help influence and fill-in the content using a simple Q/A approach.

So here are the topics and titles that I have submitted -- there are four:

  •  “Comply, Adapt or Get the HLA Out of the Way”   -- this is a topic idea I’ve had for at least 10 years about making the most of the technology we have now – controversial title? – maybe? – but it’s really about utilizing process, leveraging design patterns and having an engineering mindset to make things work  - the title is intended to rise a few eyebrows.
  • “The Art of Throwing Sticky BOMs: Why conceptual modeling matters and how to make it work ?”  -- this topic is on conceptual modeling – the importance of it - and the opportunity to leverage the BOM standard to support this huge need
  • “Playing Tag with M&S Assets:  Why discovery metadata matters and how to make it work?”  -- this topic is on the importance of discovery metadata and the various tools / web resources we have available to help people.
  •  “Why Macs Rule, and What does this have to do with M&S Innovation?”  -- this is a topic to gets us thinking in a forward direction and the impact we still have to make

So stay tuned.   Future posts will be titled based on each of these four topics. They will initially be short and to the point -- but will end with a series of questions. Questions that I hope will spur discussion and sharing of thoughts from others I've invited into the conversation.  A conversation that can be thought of as a "virtual panel" that I anticipate I will last over a several week period.

It  should be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment