Tuesday, May 11, 2010

First Lockup

Day 15

Two weeks of use now.    I must say the transition has been much easier than I thought.   I like the apps, I like the feel, and I like the responsiveness of the box.   I don't think it's difficult at all for a Windows guy like me to get comfortable behind a Mac.

But like a PC - Mac does have it moments too.  I got my MacBook locked up yesterday for the first time.  Not sure what I did. I was in the Pages app (which is a lot like Word) and the Mail client, and something  built into the OS that allowed me to explore some Zip files I had created previously in Windows.    I may have had a few other apps going like Safari.  But I had just emailed my wife something (via Gmail) and 20 seconds later -- boom -- everything locked up.   The keys and mouse -- they just didn't move.   After 2 minutes - I held down the power button and then rebooted.   Everything I was working on, fortunately, was saved.  I didn't loose anything.   And the email I had thought I had sent - truly did send.

Speaking of email.  I found it incredibly easy to enable setup and download of Gmail on the Mac.  It was as if the email client was built for Gmail.  The pop / smtp server names - things I normally go digging for - it knew.   So easy.   Also - I discovered my mail client is able to pull down my Exchange mail without VPN, which my PC requires when I'm away from the office.   This is so incredibly awesome.   It works a lot like my Android phone using an OWA connection.   Exactly what I hoped for originally.  Makes me think I probably could tweak my PC to work the same way as I'd prefer to NOT have to VPN for email.

Last night (after the reboot) I downloaded Google Earth.  Hope to play with that this week, as well as XCode and Netbeans to see what programming on the Mac will be like.   Stay tuned for more!

No comments:

Post a Comment